Which Chanel bags do you recommend buying in-store vs. pre-loved?

ladybug333

May 6, 2019
I have a few bags currently on my wish list:

- Classic flap with caviar and shw
- Reissue 225 (either with ruthenium or so black)
- Gabby backpack
- Tweed or crocheted flap bag
- Possibly PVC flap bag
- Mini in metallic silver
- Maybe small Trendy CC

Do you have any thoughts on which bags are better to buy new in a boutique and which ones are better to buy pre-loved?

One perk I’ve noticed about buying in-store is that I can look at several bags and choose my favorite. And I notice that each bag tends to look very different — the quilting, leather, condition, etc! Are there any bags that are more consistent (and therefore easier to purchase pre-loved online?).

I appreciate any of your thoughts! :smile:

Reactions: PetiteAsian

julia.pa

Nov 15, 2017
Classic Flaps I‘d not buy brand new because prices are just too high and pre-loved market has a lot of classic flaps to offer for a good price.

The PVC bag if you want one (which I don‘t recommend at all), I‘d go pre loved because it doesn‘t hold its value.

Also Mini Flap depends, if you find one in the boutique, get it brand new. On the Mini the price on the pre-loved market is usually a lot higher because they‘re super popular and hard to get!

ladybug333

May 6, 2019
Classic Flaps I‘d not buy brand new because prices are just too high and pre-loved market has a lot of classic flaps to offer for a good price.

The PVC bag if you want one (which I don‘t recommend at all), I‘d go pre loved because it doesn‘t hold its value.

Also Mini Flap depends, if you find one in the boutique, get it brand new. On the Mini the price on the pre-loved market is usually a lot higher because they‘re super popular and hard to get!
That is SO helpful, thank you!! I didn't know that about minis. Thank you!

Reactions: OCMomof3

OCMomof3

Feb 26, 2013
Southern CA

I agree with all of this 100%. Prices for classic flaps are ridiculous and you can get "excellent condition" bags pre-loved if you are careful and picky! And I can't believe the mark up on mini flaps. Insanity!

Reactions: julia.pa

Lilleput

Dec 5, 2017
I agree with all of this 100%. Prices for classic flaps are ridiculous and you can get "excellent condition" bags pre-loved if you are careful and picky! And I can't believe the mark up on mini flaps. Insanity!
I just got a mini new in store. But I looked at online resellers/ preloved market before buying new - and minis are at least $200 (sometimes even more) than retails. Insane!

Metalblond

O.G.
Nov 9, 2008
I have a few bags currently on my wish list:

- Classic flap with caviar and shw
- Reissue 225 (either with ruthenium or so black)
- Gabby backpack
- Tweed or crocheted flap bag
- Possibly PVC flap bag
- Mini in metallic silver
- Maybe small Trendy CC

Do you have any thoughts on which bags are better to buy new in a boutique and which ones are better to buy pre-loved?

One perk I’ve noticed about buying in-store is that I can look at several bags and choose my favorite. And I notice that each bag tends to look very different — the quilting, leather, condition, etc! Are there any bags that are more consistent (and therefore easier to purchase pre-loved online?).

I appreciate any of your thoughts! :smile:
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that classics are the ones you should buy new in a boutique. I'd say the same about the 225 and the Mini as well. With all the super fakes out there, the only way you are going to be sure you have an authentic bag is to get it directly from the source. If you buy from Chanel you pay for that piece of mind- but that's just how it is. I don't normally buy pre-loved bags, but I think you are safer with buying the seasonal pieces pre-loved since they don't seem to be copied so often and they don't hold their value as well. Just my thoughts thought....

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurie C

apple255

Oct 26, 2019
Australia
Definitely get the Mini brand new if you could find it. Trendy pre-loved u get a fair bit discount. You also would get a good dealt pre loved for reissue as they less popular. Classic flap if you could afford go brand new for memory!

lallybelle

O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
NYC
I would say Reissue & Trendy CC try & get preloved. Both are a lot less preloved than retail. Mini's, Classic Flaps etc. especially in New/Like New condition are not going to be much of a deal preloved. Some seasonal will be under retail.