If you could only have one Kelly 28 and it couldn't be black....which color would you choose?

purses1974

Jul 29, 2016
Hello,
I would like to start looking for a Kelly28 on the second-hand market and don't know which color to start hunting for.

My wardrobe is grey, black, white and blue. All neutrals. My coats are black and charcoal. My lifestyle is casual and I rarely dress up (apart from work).

I am considering an epsom sellier bag in gold and a togo bag in bleu nuit, but would love other suggestions. I am concerned that the gold bag won't be useful in the winters (I live in a cold climate) and that a bleu nuit bag won't go well with my charcoal coats. I currently have a (too) large collection of black bags.

I would love opinions or other suggestions. I would prefer a neutral as I am not brave enough to carry off some of the brighter H colors.

Thank you!

Ania

O.G.
Jun 15, 2007
London
I think gold is a very versatile colour that would fit well with your wardrobe as would a good navy (e.g. blue nuit, bleu saphir or bleu indigo) or dark rich red (e.g. rouge H, rouge selier or rouge grenat). All these are trans-seasonal, go with everything colours. perhaps also consider raisin and etoupe? Both are great neutrals.
Also, I would consider hardware as well as colour. Even in selier which I always think is the ‘dressier’ style - a gold or rouge h kelly with phw will likely read as more casual than one with ghw would.

Hope this helps and good luck finding your dream bag!

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
A lighter blue than blu Nuit. i wear a color palette very similar to yours, and I mix blue and black and blue and charcoal a lot. I have two medium blue gray kelly bags. My 28 vintage sellier box kelly is a bag that my DH calls the sexiest bag in the world (at least until I got my Duret bag). And the other a blue obscure JPG fringe kelly (one of my favorite bags). I always get confused with H color names, but someone told me the sellier was close to Blu abysse. If you want a pop of color, I like Bordeaux box, which is more blue toned and less brown than some versions of rouge H. I hesitate to recommend etain bc I think sometimes it can be warm and muddy with brown under tone, but YMMV. I do wear an etoupe 30B (which is a bit muddy) but it’s more a day bag. I prefer brushed palladium hw. Here is etain, etoupe, craie, and gold, the last a much brighter pop of color against midnight blue pleather leggings and a navy pea coat. And, finally my Duret bag in Buffalo Dalmatian. Nowadays, I wouldn’t hesitate to wear it year round. Here it’s with blue, gray and black leopard And denim. Forgot to add, all the kellys here and the gold 30 Birkin were vintage finds (from 5K -7K USD, from Japanese resellers during the year of covid), HW brushed and leather restored by @docride

2CC67807-02A1-4E23-85A4-C5FAB197BBEC.jpeg 5D58917D-96F5-413B-9C9E-1A2E3E34DF4C.jpeg AFBFB73C-24A0-46FB-BE4C-954E68FBAAA6.jpeg 7CBCE5DC-C7D8-4D3B-AB1F-32BE5454572E.jpeg E897DC2A-0E9A-429F-B666-367524A6BEBC.jpeg D4E7D3C4-B770-4E1C-89DC-EE384684B5C9.jpeg B400487D-0EAB-4DED-B23B-96D6A6B4CEB1.jpeg 4CA0E49F-69A0-4F84-8107-9913D886584A.jpeg 206CB6E1-E36A-41BB-B177-047384B292E9.jpeg

Last edited:

paula24jen

O.G.
Sep 10, 2007
Hello,
I would like to start looking for a Kelly28 on the second-hand market and don't know which color to start hunting for.

My wardrobe is grey, black, white and blue. All neutrals. My coats are black and charcoal. My lifestyle is casual and I rarely dress up (apart from work).

I am considering an epsom sellier bag in gold and a togo bag in bleu nuit, but would love other suggestions. I am concerned that the gold bag won't be useful in the winters (I live in a cold climate) and that a bleu nuit bag won't go well with my charcoal coats. I currently have a (too) large collection of black bags.

I would love opinions or other suggestions. I would prefer a neutral as I am not brave enough to carry off some of the brighter H colors.

Thank you!
I share a similar wardrobe palette and find etoupe to be a great colour. You might also want to consider vert cypress which has slotted in surprisingly well with my wardrobe.

As others have said, hardware can make the exact same leather colour look completely different, just to make things even more complicated…

Enjoy making your decision, I hope you get the bag which makes your heart sing!

purses1974

Jul 29, 2016
I think gold is a very versatile colour that would fit well with your wardrobe as would a good navy (e.g. blue nuit, bleu saphir or bleu indigo) or dark rich red (e.g. rouge H, rouge selier or rouge grenat). All these are trans-seasonal, go with everything colours. perhaps also consider raisin and etoupe? Both are great neutrals.
Also, I would consider hardware as well as colour. Even in selier which I always think is the ‘dressier’ style - a gold or rouge h kelly with phw will likely read as more casual than one with ghw would.

Hope this helps and good luck finding your dream bag!
These are all great ideas. I love bleu saphir and a dark red would be beautiful. Thank you!

Reactions: Ania and paula24jen

purses1974

Jul 29, 2016
A lighter blue than blu Nuit. i wear a color palette very similar to yours, and I mix blue and black and blue and charcoal a lot. I have two medium blue gray kelly bags. My 28 vintage sellier box kelly is a bag that my DH calls the sexiest bag in the world (at least until I got my Duret bag). And the other a blue obscure JPG fringe kelly (one of my favorite bags). I always get confused with H color names, but someone told me the sellier was close to Blu abysse. If you want a pop of color, I like Bordeaux box, which is more blue toned and less brown than some versions of rouge H. I hesitate to recommend etain bc I think sometimes it can be warm and muddy with brown under tone, but YMMV. I do wear an etoupe 30B (which is a bit muddy) but it’s more a day bag. I prefer brushed palladium hw. Here is etain, etoupe, craie, and gold, the last a much brighter pop of color against midnight blue pleather leggings and a navy pea coat. And, finally my Duret bag in Buffalo Dalmatian. Nowadays, I wouldn’t hesitate to wear it year round. Here it’s with blue, gray and black leopard And denim. Forgot to add, all the kellys here and the gold 30 Birkin were vintage finds (from 5K -7K USD, from Japanese resellers during the year of covid), HW brushed and leather restored by @docride

View attachment 5259203 View attachment 5259202 View attachment 5259201 View attachment 5259200 View attachment 5259208 View attachment 5259210 View attachment 5259211 View attachment 5259209 View attachment 5259213
Thank you for sharing these! You have such a beautiful collection! Are the kelly bags in the first two photos the same bag? It's gorgeous

Reactions: 880

purses1974

Jul 29, 2016
I would go for etain. It’s a color that would go very well with your wardrobe. I wear similar colors and went with black but etain was my next option.
Love etain but I wondered if it isn't a dressier color and I want to keep this bag v casual-looking