Gilt sold me a superfake Prada saffiano and refused to accept a return.

Manila128

Jun 10, 2012
New York
Don't give up with the cc company. There is an appeal to Visa/MC if the first part doesn't go in your favor. I opened a dispute 12/30/2014 and it took until March 20, 2015 to get it resolved. I also contacted my States department of Consumer Affairs and when through their complaint process. I won on the basis that the transaction was illegal. Merchant was fighting the he said she said process. Visa ruled it an illegal transaction which is prohibited under their card processing agreement with merchants. Good luck and no Gilt shopping for me. Thanks for the warning.
Thanks! This is helpful information!

Manila128

Jun 10, 2012
New York
Gilt is really going downhill. I don't shop there anymore. I am actually the earliest invitation-only member because my best friend knows one of the founders. I used to shop there a lot, so it means something when I quit. The site is now full of their own no-name brand items: Ava & Aiden, Avaleigh, Atwell, etc. How are those considered "designer items"? From there I can tell that they have an ill intent to deceive the customers. Your case proves that they are even worse than I thought.

Besides starting a CC charge dispute, OP you should:
1) Let the moderators know to add them to the counterfeit seller list.
2) Contact Prada.
3) Leave complaints on BBB and other Websites.
4) Tweet about it.

We should not let these dishonest sellers get away from selling counterfeits.
I agree! They don't declare these as their own brands. I only found out by digging through the Internet! Let's hope they don't get away with it.

redweddy

Paws in my Purse
Oct 6, 2010
Hello ladies - posting my update too. I also bought a fake bag from Gilt and they refused the return. My CC company has now ruled in my favor and reversed the charge.
Gilt has 45 days to challenge this decision so it isn't quite over yet but I am glad for this first step.

I went to the BBB website and filed a formal complaint agains Gilt. I encourage every lady who has bought a counterfeit bag from them to do the same. Gilt is currently rated an "A" at BBB but if enough of us complain, perhaps their rating will change to an "F". That in turn may help other ladies who need to file disputes in the future.

Manila128

Jun 10, 2012
New York
Not yet. Cc company reversed the charge temporarily but now awaiting Prada reply. Btw, I have an authentic version of the exact same bag and the difference is stark, after putting them side by side (don't want to tip off counterfeiters but here's just a sneak peek at the two side by side).

This is a hot mess:/ Thanks for following up! I'll definitely keep everyone posted.
Oops. I meant gilt reply, not Prada.

Iv7

Apr 16, 2014
Boston
Gilt is really going downhill. I don't shop there anymore. I am actually the earliest invitation-only member because my best friend knows one of the founders. I used to shop there a lot, so it means something when I quit. The site is now full of their own no-name brand items: Ava & Aiden, Avaleigh, Atwell, etc. How are those considered "designer items"? From there I can tell that they have an ill intent to deceive the customers. Your case proves that they are even worse than I thought.
Well I've also read on TPF that some members have had troubles with Gilt....about bedding sheets :P It seems like Gilt is also partnering with some brands and having these brands make "outlet" level products for Gilt.

Then these outlet level products aren't being listed as "different" level products, but are being listed as non-returnable and final sale, making customers think they're getting a good deal but will receive a product not what they expected to be...
How Gilt has fallen :sad:

Bakudm

Apr 4, 2015
Hello everyone,i am very sorry…i was about to buy from the Gilt,but decide to get from the Saks,and now i see what happened..i am not happy with my bag from the Saks..,they twice give me scratched inside,i do not know why both bag are lie that,i got in black color Prada saffiano cuir bag,but thinking about to change it on red/black or navy/red.
What about the fake from the Gilt.maybe you should call to the Para and report the fake that sell GIlt?

Manila128

Jun 10, 2012
New York
Here is the update on my case. Gilt appears to have been contacted by my credit company after my dispute and they then contacted me. The gave me a FedEx label to return the item for "further inspection," by their "Fine Jewelry Department." The tone of their email made it appear as if I never informed them previously that the item was determined to be a fake by a third party authenticator, or that I have emailed them repeatedly to try and resolve the issue without having to request intervention by my credit card company.

I returned the item and never received confirmation that it was received until I inquired.

After that, all I received was an email containing a form return acknowledgement indicating that I was getting a refund because the merchandise was "undeliverable," which is obviously not what happened here.

I also got a response from Gilt through the Better Business Bureau claiming that they couldn't determine the item to be a fake from the photos I sent. Although I originally sent only 5 or so photos, knowing now what an authentic bag looks like, those would have been more than sufficient. I also sent them a link to my photo album that contained over 20 high resolution photos, from which Authenticate4U was able to make determination. Photos of the fake and real bags side by side also make that very obvious (I uploaded a sample in an earlier post on this thread). Also, if they really wanted more photos, they should have asked for them. Instead, they flatly denied to even acknowledge that there was an issue and hoped that I would go away.

This has been such an ordeal, and one that cost me money, time and effort to resolve. Thank goodness Authenticate4U charges reasonable prices. I hope others learn from my mistake.

Thank you to all who have been supportive throughout this process, and who have remained respectful on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshine mama

Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
Firing Range Central
Here is the update on my case. Gilt appears to have been contacted by my credit company after my dispute and they then contacted me. The gave me a FedEx label to return the item for "further inspection," by their "Fine Jewelry Department." The tone of their email made it appear as if I never informed them previously that the item was determined to be a fake by a third party authenticator, or that I have emailed them repeatedly to try and resolve the issue without having to request intervention by my credit card company.

I returned the item and never received confirmation that it was received until I inquired.

After that, all I received was an email containing a form return acknowledgement indicating that I was getting a refund because the merchandise was "undeliverable," which is obviously not what happened here.

I also got a response from Gilt through the Better Business Bureau claiming that they couldn't determine the item to be a fake from the photos I sent. Although I originally sent only 5 or so photos, knowing now what an authentic bag looks like, those would have been more than sufficient. I also sent them a link to my photo album that contained over 20 high resolution photos, from which Authenticate4U was able to make determination. Photos of the fake and real bags side by side also make that very obvious (I uploaded a sample in an earlier post on this thread). Also, if they really wanted more photos, they should have asked for them. Instead, they flatly denied to even acknowledge that there was an issue and hoped that I would go away.

This has been such an ordeal, and one that cost me money, time and effort to resolve. Thank goodness Authenticate4U charges reasonable prices. I hope others learn from my mistake.

Thank you to all who have been supportive throughout this process, and who have remained respectful on this thread.
I've heard this scam somewhere before in reference to a place like Gilt. Maybe Brand Alley?

Have you gotten your money back yet? I can't seem to follow that part of your post.

Manila128

Jun 10, 2012
New York
I've heard this scam somewhere before in reference to a place like Gilt. Maybe Brand Alley?

Have you gotten your money back yet? I can't seem to follow that part of your post.
I had mentioned in an earlier post that my credit card company returned the funds temporarily while the dispute is pending. I believe based on gilt's most recent "return" email that the funds would be returned to my credit card company,

Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
Firing Range Central
I had mentioned in an earlier post that my credit card company returned the funds temporarily while the dispute is pending. I believe based on gilt's most recent "return" email that the funds would be returned to my credit card company,

Ah! No wonder I was confused. Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

uadjit

D.Va
Jul 21, 2011
Somewhere that's green

I have just now seen this thread and I'm glad to read that Gilt finally gave in and accepted the return. If I was them I would have accepted it ASAP and sorted out the authenticity issue on their end rather than have their reputation so bruised.

I had an issue with them once where I bought a pair of Linda Farrow sunglasses that they listed as UV protective but arrived with a card that said the UV rating was 0. They refused to listen to me until I forwarded them an email I got from Linda Farrow saying that those glasses were for fashion wear only and because they had a reddish tint they were actual harmful to the eyes if worn for an extended period. The LF rep did not seem very happy with Gilt for listing these glasses that way, either.

Since then I haven't bought anything very expensive from them and I NEVER buy anything that has that little note at the end saying that the item is sourced from a "trusted partner" or whatever. It seems to me they misplace their trust too often.

Nuke

Apr 22, 2015
There are a few bags I was looking at on Gilt - the markdowns would lead to fantastic savings, but now I'm very worried about something similar happening to me. After all, if one of their 'trusted independent sellers' sold you a superfake, as far as I'm concerned everything on their inventory is now under question. Such a shame, too...

AngieBaby15

Mar 20, 2015
CA
I am so sorry for your horrible experience with Gilt. To be honest, I can never recommend Gilt to anyone because aside from the bad quality or fakes they sell, their customer service is the WORST.

From my experience dealing with their CS last time when they sold me a clearly terrible quality Balenciaga city, I learned that Gilt source these designers brands from third party sellers. They never disclosed who they source from and they will NEVER admit when a fake one got caught. And after talking with their "luxury" dept/person/manager, it's very clear that they don't have the expert knowledge to be selling these brands. I would stay away from them and their return polices suck.

And I understand why they didn't take the return at first because accepting it is like admitting the guilt that they sold you a fake bag. So on paper they will put some bogus reasons so that even if they allowed you to return the bag, it isn't because of counterfeit reasons.