Buying preloved in Japan

Oct 21, 2008
I am going to be in Japan in September - Tokyo and Yokohama. I am wondering if it is worth buying a preloved bag there and if so, does anyone have any store recommendations? Preferably close to Shinjuku area in Tokyo. I’ve bought preloved bags from Japan on Ebay but the prices aren’t usually that much of a bargain. Just wondered whether they are better in bricks and mortar stores in Japan. Thanks!

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

Ryan

O.G.
Feb 8, 2006
NYC
I am going to be in Japan in September - Tokyo and Yokohama. I am wondering if it is worth buying a preloved bag there and if so, does anyone have any store recommendations? Preferably close to Shinjuku area in Tokyo. I’ve bought preloved bags from Japan on Ebay but the prices aren’t usually that much of a bargain. Just wondered whether they are better in bricks and mortar stores in Japan. Thanks!
I have a blog post about it - have fun!

http://extraextrastyle.com/home/2018/6/5/the-best-luxury-vintage-shopping-in-japan?rq=Japan

mf_ika

Apr 20, 2020
Germany
Hi!

I‘ve read online, that mostly (some/many) bags & slg items from Japan on eBay have somehow unpleasant smell.

Is that true? I mean the posibility catch one that smell like attic or chemney or something.
TFA

carleykitten

Apr 29, 2018
Hi!

I‘ve read online, that mostly (some/many) bags & slg items from Japan on eBay have somehow unpleasant smell.

Is that true? I mean the posibility catch one that smell like attic or chemney or something.
TFA
They should list that! I always stay away from anything that is listed as “closet smell”. Not even sure what that means! Lol

Reactions: mf_ika

karman

Crazy Cat Lady
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
Canada
Sometimes vintage bags develop a sort of plastic smell. I have a few bags which were fine when I got them (10-15 years ago) but even in my own closet, as they age they start to develop a small - I think it's just the canvas aging. Not sure if this is what the "closet smell" could be referring to, but many Japanese sellers tend to have a wide selection of vintage bags.

It may also be mothballs.

Reactions: mf_ika